Pages

'Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.'- Angela Carter

Friday 4 November 2016

REVIEW: The Black Key - Amy Ewing

The Black Key (The Lone City, #3)Title: The Black Key
Author: Amy Ewing
Series: The Lone City #3
Publisher: Walker Books
Source: Review Copy
Publication Date: 6th October, 2016
Series Reviews: The Jewel, The White Rose



The third book in Amy Ewing's New York Times bestselling Lone City trilogy, The Black Key is perfect for fans of The Selection and Red Queen. Violet and the Society of the Black Key are preparing to launch an attack on the royalty, and Violet has a crucial role to play. She must lead the surrogates as they infiltrate the Auction and break down the walls of the Lone City. But with her sister, Hazel, imprisoned in the palace of the Lake, Violet is torn. In order to save her sister, she must abandon her cause and her friends and return to the Jewel.
This was such a perfect ending to one of my all time favourite trilogies. Amy Ewing can do absolutely no wrong in my eyes. Finding out that the Duchess of the Lake was holding Violet's sister hostage at the end of The White Rose had me diving headfirst into The Black Key. There was no way I could hold back - I had to find out what was happening! I was excited to see the ultimate climax of this trilogy and to hopefully see the downfall of the royalty, particularly the Countess of the Stone.

I absolutely loved meeting so many new characters and seeing what each surrogate could do with their powers. I also loved that Violet didn't let her relationship with Ash hold her back at all during the rebellion. She is as impulsive, strong and badass as ever and throws herself straight back into the hands of the Duchess of the Lake to save her sister and end their reign. Seeing Garnet defy his mother again and again was a pure joy and I loved learning more and more about Lucien. There is so much depth to these characters and I would happily read stories from all of their point of views. I feel so attached to them and I just want to know how everything plays out for them following the ending.

The Black Key is such a powerful book and I found myself crying, laughing and feeling full to the brim of frustrating as events unfold. Hazel suffers some absolutely awful horrors at the hands of the Duchess and we once again meet with Frederic, the torturer of Raven. The battle was everything I wanted and I would love to read it from all different point of views. I'd love to know what Ash got up to in his efforts with the rebellion. I just want more and more and more. I had the ultimate book hangover at the end of this.

The Lone City is a perfect trilogy and one of my all time favourites. I can't wait to read more of Amy Ewing's work because this was just beautiful. She is one talented author and I would definitely recommend picking these books up!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! If I wasn't already decided to read this series, you'd have me sold. I adore when a series ends on a strong note and this certainly seems to have done so! Awesome review! xx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading each and every one of them :).
This blog is an award free zone. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and I appreciate them :).